Syncplify.me Server! v4 is more than just a major release. The software was totally redesigned and nearly entirely rewritten. The back-end database is new, both in structure (JSON) and with regards to the engine (MongoDB). The virtual file system (VFS) implements a true separation of the file transfer engine and the storage. Management is now entirely based on a rich set of REST API, to which we provide 2 front-ends: a modern Boorstrap/AngularJS secure web interface, and a completely redesigned CLI (command-line interface). For all these reasons, in order to upgrade to version 4 and keep your configuration and user database, you will have to carefully follow the procedures explained in this article, and especially in the VIDEO here below.
First of all, it is important to understand the following:
- A direct upgrade from v1/v2 to v4 is not possible. You will have to upgrade to v3 first, and then from v3 to v4.
- A direct upgrade from v3 to v4 is possible, but we highly recommend that you first upgrade to the last v3 (220.127.116.11). Here you can find installers for version 18.104.22.168 for 32 bit or 64 bit Windows.
- Version 4.x license format is different from version 3.x. So your existing license will not work. Therefore, if you are a registered customer, please make sure you contact us and request a new license before you attempt to upgrade to v4.x.
- Direct upgrade from v3 to v4.1+ is not possible, you will have to upgrade to v4.0.34 first.
Once you have made sure you are running version 22.214.171.124, then you can start planning your upgrade to version 4.x. Here’s an outline of the main steps you have to take in order to perform a clean upgrade:
- Do NOT uninstall version 3.x (we mean it!).
- Download version 4.0.34 for 32 bit or 64 bit Windows, depending on your operating system’s bitness.
- Double-click the v4.0.34 installer to run it.
- Let the installer deploy the pre-requisites (Microsoft hot-fix and MongoDB) for you, if necessary.
- When you’re asked whether you want to perform a Complete, Typical or Custom setup type, choose COMPLETE.
- At the end of the installation procedure the “HTTP/REST Configuration Wizard” will run automatically; choose the “Quick Configuration” option, and make sure you set a good SA (SuperAdmin) password.
- Once the “HTTP/REST Configuration Wizard” has gathered enough information, it will automatically detect your old version 3.x and propose an upgrade.
- Click on the Upgrade button and the Conversion Wizard will run.
- In the Conversion Wizard, pick the V3 “instance” you want to upgrade to a V4 “virtual server” and click the CONVERT button.
- Once you have converted all your V3 instances to V4 virtual servers, you can delete all V3 instances through the old Instance Controller (recommended!) and finally you can uninstall V3 via control panel.
- Now that you are running v4.0.34 you may, if you want, upgrade from this version to a newer one (such as v4.1 or higher).
The description here above is a quick and brief outline, but for further information and a guided walk-through we recommend you watch the video here below.